If you’re a traveler who would like to experience the wildlife, the first place that you would need to consider going is Africa. It homes thousands of wildlife animals and has great accommodations when it comes to travelers and explorers.
If you want to experience holidays in Tanzania, then you would need to book yourself a flight and contact a guide to accommodate you while you’re there. When going to safaris Tanzania you would need to know a couple of things before you go there.
Best Months to go for a Safari
The best time to explore Tanzania is in the months of December to March. It’s the time when mammals go in a calving season and people will be able to see all the animals clearly. During the months of June to October, Tanzania experience blowing dusts and drought seasons. It can be very dangerous for travelers and guides to explore during these seasons because the dusts could easily get inside the ears, nose, eyes, throat, etc.
4 Classifications of a Safari
When you’re spending your holiday in Tanzania, you need to know where you will stay there. Here are 4 classifications of a safari accommodation:
- Budget – It is the least expensive out of the four. Camping equipment should be carried or you can include it in your accommodations with a cook or cleaning service.
- First Class – The expense is moderate. The stay is more comfortable because of hotels, restaurants and amenities. If you want more activities, you would need to pay more for you to enjoy them.
- Deluxe – It is more expensive than the other two because it is more upscale. It has gourmet dining, you can travel in small groups and all meals and activities are included in the total cost.
- Luxury – It is the most expensive of all. It focuses in self-pampering rather than travelling and exploring the wildlife. It includes golf courses; meals include liquors and wines, spa treatments and private butlers.
Choosing your Safari Guide
There are more or less 400 tour guides in safaris Tanzania and you would really have a hard time choosing one that would meet all your expectations. To make your decision easier, here is a simple guide for you to follow:
- Use the internet to research about safari guides, look at their proposed itineraries, and compare their prices, read the reviews and recommendations.
- Look at websites where they give summaries about travel guides and information about places to go.
- Ask several safari companies for their brochures and pamphlets; compare the services that they offer.
- Choose an itinerary that you liked.
- Email the itineraries to the companies and ask for a complete price list of all your accommodation choices and their policies.
- Inform the operators if you have any medical conditions that may affect your tour like allergies, heart conditions, motion sickness, etc.
- Ask the safari companies about the extra details about your tour like the vehicle that will be used, the lodging, etc.
- Ask the companies about other information of their business like how long have been they working in the industry.
- Evaluate the companies and choose a company.
Modes of Transportation in a Safari
The wildlife has unique landscaping, that’s why it is important that you know what to expect about your travel while you’re there. The usual transportations in the safari are by the following:
- 4WD vehicles
- Planes which have single engines
- Buses like motor coach
- Motorized boats
- Non-motorized boats which includes kayaks or canoes
- Animals like elephants, camels or horses
Flying Safari: Its Pros and Cons
The pros of travelling with a flying safari are the following: no driving in a dusty, unpaved and potholed terrain, much lesser of a bone-crashing ride, lesser movement of side to side compared to 4WD cars and saves more time in touring the safari. The cons are: gives you lesser flexibility on the game drive sessions, you may share a vehicle with other travelers.
Things to Pack When Going to a Safari trip
When going to a safari trip, here is a list of the common things that you would need to bring with you:
- Camera, batteries, memory cards and other tools for your photography
- Zip lock bags to protect your belongings from dust or moisture
- Hand sanitizer or anti-bacterial wipes
- Insect repellent
- Medical prescriptions
- Suntan lotion, sunglasses, lip balm, hats
- Hard candies for your throat
- Eye protection
Qualities that a Game Spotter Should Have
As a traveler, you would need to know what animals you are looking at and their characteristics. Make sure that when you’re going to travel, your guide should have the following qualities:
- They should be willing to share information and their knowledge about the mammals, flying creatures and the overall environment of the place.
- They should immediately identify and explain the characteristics of the animals that you will be seeing and compare them to other animals.
- They should be able to distinguish a female animal from a male one.
- They should also know where certain animals usually hide and their habits as unique specie.
- If you want an animal for you to observe, they should be willing to take you to them.
- Your game spotter should also know how certain animals mate and interact with each other.
- Lastly, they should be able to explain to you the social structure of the animals that you are encountering. This may include the gestation period of the animal, do they travel by individuals or as a pack, is the head of the group a male or female, etc.